I've been getting some questions about the harvest fairy costume I made last year. Actually, I made it a few years ago, but have been getting good mileage out of it. I thought I'd post this with time to get it together for Halloween.
The fairy skirt is very simple. I just took two regular square silks and laid them together like this:
I never measure and rarely pin anything. Just cut a hole, sew in elastic and it's done! By machine it's a ten minute project. By hand under an hour. Well... except that we did also dye them ourselves. I use acid dyes from Dharma trading company. Lots of people use Kool-Aid, which I hear works though have never mustered the courage to make the purchase - or even go into a store that sells that stuff. I bought the 1/2 ounce sizes of cherry red, sun yellow and sky blue 3 years ago. I used these 3 colors to dye all of my play silks, curtains and cheesecloth swags hung from the ceiling and I still have some left.
For this skirt I first mixed the lighter color, which was a little red and a tiny bit of yellow to get the peach. Then in the same bowl I added more red to get the deeper salmon color. Again, I do everything by eye so have no idea of the amounts. And the great thing about this skirt and others we've made is that they're reversible.
My little jack-o-lanterns. She spent most of last year with 7 missing front teeth!
For the top we dyed a tank with the same dye, also from Dharma, and then I let the girls glue on their own silk flowers and leaves as they pleased. I didn't get a great shot of the whole outfit, but you get the gist of it.